Monday 12 December 2011

Almond Biscotti



gluten free biscotti
I've been wanting to try gluten free biscotti for awhile now, but I couldn't seem to find a recipe that I liked. I took a chance and decided to develop a recipe on my own with a little input from various internet recipes, both traditional and gluten free. The biscotti turned out delicious, but a bit crumbly. Not all of the pieces stuck together (well like half did), so I had a lot of little biscotti chunks by the end of it. I considered leaving this recipe off the blog until I could perfect it, but everyone who tried the biscotti really liked it and said I should post it, so here you go.


Just for the record, next time I try it I will make a few changes. I think it might help the pieces stick together if the loaves aren't completely cooled before you slice it. Another egg or some extra guar/xanthan gum might help it keep it's shape too. Or maybe thicker slices is the answer I'm looking for. When I make it again I will report back!

I usually avoid recipes with almond flour because it's so expensive, but I thought I would splurge a little for this biscotti. This recipe uses 1/2 cup of almond meal (almonds ground in a coffee grinder) and 1/2 cup of chopped almonds. I think next time I make biscotti I might try replacing hazelnuts for the almonds.

making almond flour in the coffee grinder
You could definitely alter this recipe with your own add ins. A popular Christmas biscotti includes red cranberries and green pistachios. You could also drizzle dark or white chocolate over the cookies. The possibilities are endless!

some of my more intact cookies
I'm not exactly sure how many cookies this recipe makes because so many of them broke. Probably close to 30 depending on the width of your slices.

Ingredients

1/2 cup Ground Almonds/Almond Flour/Almond Meal (I just ground whole almonds in the coffee grinder)
1 1/2 cups All Purpose GF Flour Blend
1 tsp Guar Gum (or 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum)
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cups Sugar
2 Eggs (next time I would try 3 eggs)
1/4 cup Margarine softened
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or Almond Extract)
1/2 cup Chopped Almonds

Directions

Cream together sugar and margarine.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Grind almonds in your coffee grinder and sift out large pieces. (or use almond meal/flour)
Add flour, almond meal, salt, guar gum, and baking powder.
Mix until it forms a dough, then mix in chopped almonds.
Scoop dough onto greased (or parchment lined) cookie sheet in two equal portions.
Grease hands and pat the dough into 2 logs about 3/4" high, 3 1/2" wide, and 7" long.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.

Let cool on sheet for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
Once completely cooled, cut into 1/2" slices.
Bake slices at 350 for 10 minutes per side. Let cool on sheet.

homemade almond meal

adding the almonds into the batter

scoop dough onto cookie sheet and form into logs

bake until loaves start to brown

slice into 1/2" pieces... a little crumbly

bake for 10 mins on each side

they will brown and get a little crispy

I like to dip them in tea or hot chocolate

These cookies aren't quite as chip-a-tooth crispy as regular biscotti, so dipping them in tea is optional!



6 comments:

  1. Cranberry and pistachio biscotti for Christmas? Count me in. I was going to guess that you might have had better luck with store-bought almond flour, but I take it back after seeing your photo- the flour you made in the coffee grinder looks about like what I buy. I'm lucky, the grocery outlet near me has a lot of gluten-free and organic items, so I can get my almond flour there. Thanks for the recipe, I plan to try an almond meal biscotti soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I find making my own almond meal is cheaper and helps to cut down on the amount of flours I have to store. Either way works for this recipe though.
      Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. In olden days gluten free diet use to be a big thing as there used to be hardly any products available. But there is good news, as doing away with gluten does not need to be such a big sacrifice anymore. Especially no there is growing awareness about the effect of the substance in gluten free biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who are suffering from the issues like diabetes or the sugar can now easily get the sugar free pancake mix from the market so that they do not have to miss on things too much. Generally the people who are suffering from diabetes have to have no sugar so the manufacturers add the ingredient which is readily acceptable by the people who are having restriction on the diet for not having sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gluten free biscotti are not only a sweet and tasty treat, but are also healthy because of the ingredients used. It’s just a matter of time before the limited selection of food items will be no more because there are increased number of food companies, chefs and bakers producing gluten free biscotti and other such products for purchase of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always difficult to do the baking of the gluten free baked goods as it is so different from the normal cooking. Gluten free food establishment are on rise because there are so many people who are nowadays following the gluten free diet. So the vegan gluten free cookies and other pre packed items are really catching on.

    ReplyDelete